The Crisis Nursery serving Wright County works to prevent abuse and neglect through offering families support services to help nurture health and safety for their children. In honor of Child Abuse Prevention Month, we’d like to offer 10 tips for positive parenting that can help you and your family build strong and healthy relationships.
10 Tips for Positive Parenting
- Be a good role model. Your child learns from the example you set.
- Give your child praise and hugs, and say, “I love you” often.
- Set simple rules and consequences, and enforce them consistently.
- Discipline fairly, firmly, and with love. Never use violence of put-downs.
- Always show respect for your child’s thoughts and feelings.
- Spend a lot of time with your child, no matter how busy you are.
- Know what’s gong on in your child’s life, both at school and with friends.
- Encourage daily learning outside of school, especially reading and math.
- Make sure your child gets enough healthy foods, exercise, and sleep daily.
- Keep your sense of humor and manage stress in healthy ways. If you feel overwhelmed, arrange for some outside help.